Feb 18, 2013

Home » , , » Thinspiration Books: what should you read on a diet?

Thinspiration Books: what should you read on a diet?

There is a big difference between a diet book and a thinspiration book.  A diet book always tells you how to get healthy and achieve some arbitrary weight.  A diet book is non-fiction.

A thinspiration book is fiction or memoir.  They are books about girls dieting or books about girls who are very thin.  They often deal with the mental trauma that causes an eating disorder, or the paths these girls take in their successes and failures, and the stress of the lifestyles they choose.
 

I really hope to write one of these books someday.  It's on my to-do list, but right now I'm working on a sort of "Pride and Prejudice" educational thing.  No I'm not joking.

These are professional published books, not personal thinspo books (although I love those and have one of my own actually!).  I forget who originally recommended these to me, but I have had this list for a while.

Anyway, here are a few books that inspire dieting:



Balancing Act
Eve's Apple (this one was great)
Fat Chance
Girls Under Pressure
I Am An Artichoke
Kim : Empty Inside
Passion of Alice 
Life Size  (by Shute)
Second Star to the Right  (loved this one too)
Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes
Best Little Girl In the World  (for everyone who has such "wonderful" parents)
Winter Girls  <<< a classic.

Winter Girls kind of gets a category all its own in terms of fucked-upness and incredible fame in the skinny web-sphere. It's kind of the unofficial must-read for people on the edge between normalcy and something darker.  Kind of like Cassie from Skins became an unofficial mascot, and Maya's book "Wasted" became the pro-ana bible, Winter Girls has a similar cult fame among those teetering on the edge.  Some of these books are valuable only for the feeling they give of "Oh god I don't want to eat," but Winter Girls is (imo) an amazing piece of literature that stands on its own without needing to be propped up by the pro-ana mindset.

I purposefully am not including Wasted because we're not going in that direction on this blog, no sir.  We are keeping this BMI-appropriate and beautiful, not starved and ill.


-->
Share this games :

0 comments:

Post a Comment